Protobuf

I've been trying to talk to a network device that uses Googles Protocol Buffers for it's data exchange. Fair enough and thankfully someone had already done the work and created the needed protocol file. Of course, it was created a while back and protobuf has moved onto proto3! Enter proto3!After copying the original proto file across to my project, I edited it to adapt to the newer proto3 specification and pressed on with actually using it. syntax="proto3"; package main; message Register { bytes uuid = 1; ...All progressed well, until... Required FieldOne of the message structures has 3 fields and...

Continue reading »

I've been using VSCode as my primary code editor for a long time, but recently I've been doing more and more working on code that will run on remote machines. The whole edit, rsync, edit cycle ws getting a little boring so I finally looked at using the remote extensions. I added the Remote-SSH extension, added the first host (a RaspberryPi)  I needed and suddenly I was editing the code directly on that machine. Simples! Why didn't I do this before? :-) The second host proved a problem as it was running FreeBSD. Looking around for a solution I soon...

Continue reading »

Solar Control

We've had our solar PV panels installed for over a year now and they've been working well. The same cannot be said of the battery installation. Our setup is pretty standard. Solax X1 Hybrid 3.7kW Inverter12 solar PV panels totalling 3.6kW2 4.5kW Solax Triple Power batteriesOur inverter has stopped talking to the meter (which was giving incorrect data anyway, though it has now been replaced) which means that the batteries are essentially useless at present :-( While waiting for the replacement inverter to be delivered from Solax (thanks to their technical guy Mason for being so helpful)...

Continue reading »

SDR Pt.6

It's been a while since I was able to devote much time to this and as the Weather Underground service is still not accepting submissions it hasn't been a high priority. However, with the festive season upon us and some time available I sat down to look at things again. The code I had written worked on my laptop but failed on the RaspberryPi :-( thinking about the differences between them an obvious line of investigation was the relative processing power. After writing a simpler version of the app I ran some time comparisons and found that while the RPi...

Continue reading »

SDR Pt.5

After the highs and low of the last coding session, it was heartwarming when after a few minor tweaks I saw this... Reading direct from the ISS :-)Now I had readings the next step was to start collecting them and then uploading to Weather Underground via their Personal Weather Station (PWS) network. My initial aim was to get a simple uploader working and then refine the data to slowly add the more complex items as time permits, but this simple task ran into a problem when the upload failed. The "host not found" error was a little odd. Was...

Continue reading »