Cynics Soapbox

Random thoughts...

Quad Update #7

In my earlier post I said that the bootloader for the KroozSD was luftboot, but in reality it’s available here. The version contained in that tree doesn’t appear to be fully up to date as there is no CRC and the strings reported by the device are different, but I’m assuming the current code is similar. While I realise I could simply switch to a different laptop, I can’t help but feel this should be a...

Quad Update #6

6! Who knew I’d get this far and still not have a flying quad? At least I’m getting closer and learning a lot along the way… Satellite Receiver I’ve updated the spektrum_serial.py code to have code that now converts the split channels into appropriate values and having watched it what it produces seems sane. Using this is a basis I changed the code in paparazzi to do the same conversions and rebuilt. All was well...

Quad Update #5

Having spent some more time looking at the Spektrum SPM9246 satellite receiver and it’s output I’ve made some progress. When trying to use this with Paparazzi I’ve had very variable results and it fails to work. Direct Binding Doesn’t Work 🙁 I’ve been unable to get the binding via the KroozSD board to work with the satellite and watching the output using pigpiod (as detailed Quad Update #4) the reason became clear as the simple series...

Quad Update #4

Following on from my experiments with the radio control receiver I still found myself unable to simulate the binding process. Everything I’d read suggested that a series of pulses needed to be sent just after power up, but the code in paparazzi that did this didn’t work for me. Capturing the pulses The starting point was using the existing AR8000 as when this is powered up with a bind plug inserted and the satellite receiver attached both go...

Quad Update #3

When I started updating the quad I didn’t expect it to be an instant process, but I didn’t really expect it to take as long as it is taking me 🙁 The delays are due to a number of reasons, but the time it takes for some orders to arrive certainly is a large contributor. Radio Control I’ve been using a Spektrum DX8 for radio control and with the previous board The individual “servo” leads were connected directly...

Quad Update #2

I’ve spent a bit more time with both Paparazzi and the KroozSD board, so these are a few more observations. NB these ONLY apply to the KroozSD board 🙂 Configuration After a good look through I changed the settings to match my configuration, tweaked a few to what I hoped would be more appropriate values and rebuilt. The ESC’s now make the correct noises and the telemetry looks good. The battery voltage being shown is that supplied via the...

Quad Upgrade

When I built the quad I went with a simple controller with the intention of upgrading at some point once I had more idea “what I was doing 🙂 Of course, such an open ended target was a total cop out and after some discussions with a friend and having a little more time on my hands than I had, I recently decided the time was right to start looking at an upgrade. This is what I had (a Hobbyking KK2....

Quadcopter #2 is Alive

Following the arrival of the longer screws, all 4 motors were quickly attached and their directions checked. Only one was incorrect and needed the wires swapping. Despite the colours of the arms clearly showing direction I also went with green propellers at the front and black at the back (as per the first quad) to give additional indications. After a quick tweak of the PI values and a zeroing of the receiver inputs it was time to see how it...

Quadcopter #2

Seemingly hitting the ground on a regular basis with legs that rotate leads to them not staying vertical – who knew? 🙂 After spending a lot of time adjusting the rotors on my Talon 2.0 quadcopter frame to try and get them vertical, I decided it was time to look for an alternative frame to use while learning. The constant battle to stop spinning due to non-vertical motors really didn’t help figure everything else out. When the Q450 frame came...

Firmware Updated

I’ve been waiting to update the firmware on my KK2.0 board for a while as I needed a USBasp. The one I ordered turned out to have a 10 pin connector, so I then had to wait for the 10 to 6 pin adapter to arrive! Thankfully both parts are now here and so having time this morning it was time to upgrade from the old 1.2 firmware the board shipped with. When I first looked at...

This is not the P value you want...

Having built the QuadCopter from scratch I always knew it would need tuning. The initial few flights proved it could fly and that it responded as expected, but I had expected it to be slightly more stable given the reputation of the KK2.0 board. After those first few flights I started looking for advice on tuning via Google. While these produced lots of opinions and advice much of it was contradictory and mildly confusing. All of it agreed that...

Changes

After Flying the Quad, I did some more looking around the web and started thinking about tuning the KK2.0 board. This is done by adjusting the PI values, which initially seems like a form of dark art. It wasn’t abundantly clear what these values were until I cam across a piece that identified them as the values used for a PID Controller loop. After reading the page the values I was entering made more sense and some of...