Seemingly hitting the ground on a regular basis with legs that rotate leads to them not staying vertical – who knew? 🙂

After spending a lot of time adjusting the rotors on my Talon 2.0 quadcopter frame to try and get them vertical, I decided it was time to look for an alternative frame to use while learning. The constant battle to stop spinning due to non-vertical motors really didn’t help figure everything else out.

When the Q450 frame came back into stock at Hobbyking I decided to get one and try it. Having had it for a while I finally had time today to start assembling it.

The frame arrives with no instructions, but is so simple that none are needed 🙂 The supplied screws were fine, though I had one that appeared to have skipped a step in manufacture and could not be used. At the end of construction there were a couple of spares, so the rogue screw wasn’t a problem.

Assembled Frame

The top plate has plenty of holes, but it doesn’t have the 4 holes for the power distribution board I’m using (recycled from version 1 of the Talon quad which came with the holes to attach the board pre-drilled). I stuck the board using the supplied tape and it’s pretty solid, but having the holes available would have been nice.

The other problem I had was attaching the motors. The screws that come with the accessory pack are M3 x 5mm which are too short to allow the motor to be secured to the frame. Longer bolts are required (M3 x 8mm will probably be fine)!

I also bought another KK2.0 flight control board and this has been fitted and flashed to version 1.6 already. Hopefully once I get a the longer bolts and mount the motors it’ll be taking to the skies.


The M3 x 8mm screws arrived and are a perfect match for mounting the motors on the frame. I bought one pack of these, which had one screw with a twisted head, but the rest were fine and 16 are now attaching the motors to the frame.