Last week I noticed just how poorly organised the music collection on the home server had become. It’s inevitable that over the years things will change and so I was expecting it to be a little messy, but what I found was far, far worse than that. As I have some time off I resolved to fix the problems and so have spent a few hours going through and tidying up the metadata, changing formats and removing duplicates to a point where things are looking pretty good.

Of course, that’s only half the battle as the metadata is then used by the media server to serve the files – destroying much of my good work in the process 🙁 I really wish there was a decent media server for linux.