After upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 I found that often my keyboard layout, which is selected as English(UK) as it had been since starting to use this laptop, would change to English (US). Annoying as this is, even worse was that it didn’t always happen and would sometimes be fine. The layout is always shown as English (UK) despite the US layout being used, which only adds to the strangeness.

Quite how this odd bug was introduced isn’t clear, but I have found a fix.

  1. Select US keyboard
  2. Select UK keyboard

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, but at least I’ve stopped having so many odd characters appearing in my source files.