So, the small “eye candy” uptime desklet I have wasn’t working correctly, but a quickl look at the source revealed that it was trying to replace “load average”, but FreeBSD’s uptime returns using the string “load averages”. Quick change, reload and it’s working correctly!
I upgraded to 0.35.1 from 0.35rc1 and still the desklets keep forgetting their positions. Also it broke the RSS ticker desklet I had installed, so I’ve removed that for now. Once they finish their server move I’ll see about posting soemthing to their discussion boards and see if there is an answer.
One annoying aspect of the desklets is they tend to be very slewed towards Linux and so don’t always work on FreeBSD. Hopefully there will be more that work with FreeBSD as their usage grows.