So, the new install of FreeBSD is working quite nicely and the extra disk space means I’m not so worried about installing things. I’ve now got Fluxbox 0.9.10 (x11-wm/fluxbox-devel) as well as some of the supporting things. Configuring it took a little while as it’s not always apparent what you need to do to get things to work! Still, some googling around and it’s all starting to come together.

The gdesklets seem quite cool, so I installed them via the ports (deskutils/gdesklets) and then tried to use them. This has so far proved to be a stmbling block with crashes galore. The configuration utility looks quite easy to use, but when nothing happens seems a little light on information. Viewing the log file often results in a crash! Still, assuming that it’s just finger trouble from me I’m sure I’ll get them working eventually!